I love having a Vegetarian Day during the week. I love the challenge of coming up with meals that will satisfy me and make me feel nourished and full! I was sitting in the parking lot of Whole Foods and I said, “I wonder if Lentils and Corn go well together in a Soup”, Try this wonderfully satisfying Soup! You won’t miss the meat!
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, minced (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chile powder
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 2 to 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk (regular or light)
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup corn kernels (about 2 ears)
- 1 tbsp. cayenne pepper hot sauce (or to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh cilantro
- chopped scallions
- diced red onion
- cayenne pepper hot sauce
- Coat the bottom of a medium pot with oil and place over medium heat. When oil is hot, add onion and jalapeño. Sauté until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, chile powder and oregano, and sauté about 1 minute more. Your Kitchen should start to smell amazing at this point.
- Add 2 cups broth, coconut milk, and another cup of broth if you need it, and lentils. Bring to a simmer and lower heat. Allow to simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add corn and tomatoes to pot. Continue simmering unit the lentils fall apart and corn is tender, about 10 minutes more. Add up to an additional cup of broth during cooking if the mixture becomes too thick.
- Remove from heat and season with hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and top with toppings of choice. Serve.
Notes: I like to season during step 2. Taste so that you don’t over salt. Top with Cilantro, Red Onions are whatever you like!